Terror suspect encouraged attacks on Prince George, suggested 'poisoning ice creams'

Terror suspect encouraged attacks on Prince George, suggested 'poisoning ice creams'
Terror suspect encouraged attacks on Prince George, suggested 'poisoning ice creams'

An alleged Islamic State group supporter who encouraged attacks on four-year-old Prince George has admitted to a string of terror offenses, two weeks into his trial in London.

Husnain Rashid, who previously said he had done nothing wrong, switched his plea to guilty on four counts of preparing terrorist acts and encouraging terrorism due to the "overwhelming weight of evidence", the Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement.

Photo Husnain Rashid in an undated photograph issued by the Greater Manchester Police.

Reuters

Rashid, 32, a former teacher at a mosque in north-western England, was accused of using the Telegram messaging site to encourage "lone wolf" attacks and to provide advice on the use of bombs, chemicals and knives.

Prosecutor Annabel Darlow told the jury Rashid suggested a range of attacks, including injecting poison into supermarket ice cream and targeting Prince George.

One post included a photo of the young prince, the address of George's school, a silhouette of a jihadi fighter and the message: "Even the royal family will not be left alone."

Prosecutors said another post included a street map of New York's Sixth Avenue with the caption: "New York Halloween Parade. Have you made your preparations? The Countdown begins."

The trial, which had been scheduled to last six weeks, was abruptly ended because of the plea. Sentencing is set for June 28.

AP/Reuters

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

NEXT Fox on games: Marvel gaming crossover