Duo cleared of Dh173,000 villa break-in

Duo cleared of Dh173,000 villa break-in
Duo cleared of Dh173,000 villa break-in

Court acquits suspects of trespassing into villa, stealing valuables while tenants were on holiday

Dubai: Two jobless men were cleared of sneaking into a villa and stealing Dh173,000 worth of valuables when its tenants were away on summer holiday.

A South Korean manager and her family were away on holiday in summer 2015 and when they returned to Dubai, they discovered that their villa had been robbed.

When the family entered their villa in Port Saeed area, the manager realised that her jewellery that she had hidden in a wooden box, according to records, had disappeared.

The woman had kept her valuables and her husband’s in a box on the cabinet and covered it with a cloth, said records.

Police investigation revealed the involvement of two Chinese jobless men, aged 24 and 27, who were detained for committing a similar theft.

On Thursday, the Dubai Court of First Instance acquitted the Chinese duo of sneaking into the villa and stealing Dh173,000 worth of valuables due to a lack of evidence.

The Chinese duo pleaded not guilty.

A police major claimed that a police patrol was dispatched to the robbed villa.

“We reached the place and discovered that a thief or more had trespassed into the villa from the side of the pool. The burglars had broken the door and climbed to the first floor from where they stole the valuables that were in the master bedroom. We identified the suspects who had been detained for carrying out a similar robbery,” he testified.

However, presiding judge Urfan Omar cleared the suspect on Thursday.

The ruling remains subject to appeal.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV An artist programmed his Google Home to fire a gun remotely
NEXT Roseanne says she 'begged' ABC, 'like 40 motherf-----s,' to let her 'make amends' before show was axed